The American Consumer Opinion Panel® BELIEVES THAT ITS MEMBERS HAVE AN INALIENABLE RIGHT TO PRIVACY. WE PROTECT YOUR PRIVACY BY ADHERING TO THESE STANDARDS:Safe Harbor Privacy Principles as developed by the U.S. Department of Commerce in consultation with the European Commission.
- Children's Online Privacy Protection Act issued by the Federal Trade Commission (FTC).
- Council of American Survey Research Organizations (CASRO) Standards.
- ESOMAR Guidelines and Standards.
Who We AreThe American Consumer Opinion Panel® and www.acop.com are owned and operated by Decision Analyst, Inc., a global marketing research and analytical consulting firm headquartered in the Dallas-Fort Worth area. Decision Analyst, Inc. subscribes to the privacy, confidentiality, and ethics policies of these organizations:
- Council of American Survey Research Organizations (CASRO)
- Marketing Research Association (MRA)
- ESOMAR (The World Association of Research Professionals)
Personal Information We Collect From YouWe collect information from you during the registration process and during participation in surveys.
During the registration process (and at times during surveys), we collect your name, address, email address, phone numbers, and the names, dates of birth, and genders of those in your household. We also collect the IP address from your computer, the type of device (PC, tablet computer, smartphone), and your computer's "digital fingerprint," so that we can identify duplicate surveys and detect and prevent fraud.
We also gather information on your household-such as dwelling type, household membership, education level, gender, income, marital status, ethnicity, and occupation. We may ask about products and services used by members of your family, and about your brand preferences, shopping patterns, and buying behavior.
Decision Analyst may collect personal information and demographic information from information services bureaus, other research firms and/or sample providers/suppliers, social media platforms, and other data sources. Decision Analyst may use your personal or demographic information for data validation, data appending, fraud detection and prevention, and/or sending emails to invite you to participate in a survey and/or join another Panel.
We use personal information and social-demographic information gathered during surveys to analyze the survey results. For example, we might look at the answers of women compared to men, or the answers of young people compared to older people, or high-income groups compared to low-income groups.
We use your personal information to verify you are who you say you are, and live where you say you live. Any evidence of false or dishonest information will result in the permanent loss of your Membership and the loss of any Points in your Member Account.
We may use your contact information, such as email address, registration data, and IP address, to verify the opt-in nature of our email list, when asked to do so by an Internet Service Provider.
We will not use mobile phone numbers for text messaging without separately obtaining your consent for the sending of text messages.
Who We Share Your Information With
We share your personal information with third parties, including, without limitation, service providers (e.g. email distribution or mailing companies, rewards vendors, companies providing fraud detection/prevention services, companies providing data validation services, companies shipping products to you for use in connection in-home usage testing, etc.), market research companies, and third parties providing data matching and appending services.
We may contract with an email service provider to help us send email invitations to surveys. In such cases, we will have a nondisclosure agreement with the email service provider to ensure your personal contact information is protected and private.
- Decision Analyst may disclose or share personal and other information collected through Decision Analyst's services with other companies as follows:
- In response to a subpoena or an order of a court or government agency.
- To establish, exercise or defend legal claims of an individual or Decision Analyst, to protect the safety of an individual or to protect Decision Analyst's rights and/or property.
- Among various Decision Analyst Panels if you sign up for more than one panel.
- To a parent, subsidiary, or affiliate of Decision Analyst in the event of a reorganization or restructuring.
- To authorized agents, research partners, and/or subcontractors of Decision Analyst and/or of Decision Analyst's clients, who are providing data appending services, data validation services, fraud detection and/or prevention services, database-matching services, coding services, sampling services, data segmentation services, and reward, incentive and sweepstakes related services.
- To a client for limited marketing research uses such as modeling, validation, fraud detection and/or prevention, data appending, database analyses, and reward, incentive or sweepstakes redemption, fulfillment and/or entry to reward your participation in or completion of a survey.
Additionally, UIDs and information collected by automated means are provided to third parties, including clients, partners, agents and/or vendors for identifying participants for re-contact surveys or communications, fraud detection and/or prevention, database matching, data validation, data append, coding, data analyses, and reward, incentive, sweepstakes or promotion related services and/or developing aggregated data insights regarding survey respondents and providing a client(s) with access to and use of the aggregated data insights.
Decision Analyst will provide survey data and responses to Decision Analyst clients with no personal information disclosed by Decision Analyst, other than UIDs. If you voluntarily disclose personal information in connection with your survey responses, and Decision Analyst collects the survey responses, Decision Analyst will transfer the survey responses, UID and the voluntarily disclosed personal information to Decision Analyst's client. In addition, Decision Analyst may share geographic and/or demographic data Decision Analyst collects from you during registration or through surveys. Such data may be shared with third parties on an individual respondent level or as aggregate summaries.
Decision Analyst's clients may engage Decision Analyst to supply or provide demographic information of or about individuals who have viewed an advertisement or visited a website for the purpose of measuring internet and digital media audiences. The demographic information may be provided or supplied to Decision Analyst's clients. The demographic information and analysis performed by or on behalf of Decision Analyst's clients assist with the creation, development and implementation of websites, online advertisements and other Internet and digital media features, functionality and campaigns.
Generally, disclosures of personal information by Decision Analyst to some other company or organization, except for disclosures of UIDs, are controlled by a written agreement between Decision Analyst and the other company or organization, which restricts and limits use of the personal information. Decision Analyst may allow a client to collect personal information directly from panel members. The disclosure is voluntary and, prior to collection, the client is required to enter into a written agreement with Decision Analyst, which restricts and limits use of the personal information.
How You Can Control Your InformationYou may "Opt-Out" at any time when taking a survey. You may also update or delete your personal information at any time by logging into your American Consumer Opinion Panel® Member Account
Once you join our panel and receive invitations to complete surveys, you are under no obligation to complete those surveys. You can simply choose not to respond.
If you start taking a survey and are asked questions you do not wish to respond to, you may simply stop taking the survey.
Once you have registered, you may safely update or delete your Member Account (and all of your personal data) at any time. If you would like to contact Decision Analyst in regard to your privacy please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Privacy For Children Under 14We comply with applicable laws in each country with regards to protecting the privacy of, and the collection and processing of personal information of, minors. For example, in the United States, we do not knowingly collect personal information from individuals under the age of 13, our services and panels are not designed or intended for individuals under the age of 13, and if we have a survey for children 12 or younger, we will ask parents to review the survey and give their permission for their child to take the survey. If we become aware that we collected personal information from an individual under the applicable minimum age threshold in a country, we will promptly delete all personal information collected from or about such individual.
How We Secure Your InformationThe American Consumer Opinion Panel® has multiple security measures in place to ensure the confidentiality and protection of your personal information. The data is stored behind Decision Analyst's firewall, and the data is encrypted. We have security measures in place to protect against the loss, misuse, or alteration of any information we receive from you. As with any transmission over the Internet, there is some element of risk involved in sending personal information. To minimize this risk, we encrypt all information using the Secure Sockets Layer (SSL) protocol.
We gather information in our log files such as Internet Protocol (IP) address, browser type, Internet Service Provider (ISP), type of computing device, referring and exit pages, platform type, date and time stamp, number of clicks while onsite, and other variables.
- Log-file information is not linked to any personally identifiable information and is used only to administer our systems, to make improvements to our website, and to determine the success of advertising campaigns.
- Digital fingerprinting assigns a unique identifier to your computing device (PC, tablet computer, smartphone, etc.) based on its technical settings and IP Address. Decision Analyst uses digital fingerprinting technology for quality control, validation purposes and fraud detection and/or prevention, including identifying duplicate or fraudulent respondents. Decision Analyst may implement and use digital fingerprinting directly or through a third party vendor.
- Watermarking involves placing code or a file on your computing device to identify that it has been used to register with or access Decision Analyst's services. Watermarking is used for quality control and validation purposes and fraud detection and/or prevention purposes. Decision Analyst may engage in watermarking activities directly or through a third party vendor.
We send an email to all new Members to confirm their registration. New Members must Opt-In to this email to become a Member.
We communicate with Members by email or phone on a case-by-case basis to answer any questions or provide Member services.
Legal DisclaimerIf required by a court of law or government agency, your personal data might need to be disclosed, if we have a good-faith belief that such action is necessary to comply with a current judicial proceeding, a court order, or a legal process. We will take legal action, if appropriate, to protect your personal data. We will attempt to notify you in advance so that you can take legal action on your own, if desired, to protect your personal information.
Retention of Personal InformationYour personal information is kept by Decision Analyst so long as you are an active Member of the American Consumer Opinion Panel® or some other Decision Analyst panel. Once you cancel your Member Account or Opt-Out, your personal data remains encrypted and is stored for a period of 2 years behind our firewall, or if any questions come up about your Member Account or Points in your Account.
Internet Operations Department
Decision Analyst, Inc.
604 Avenue H East
Arlington, Texas 76011
Within the U.S., 1-817-649-5241
For more information about Internet privacy and the privacy guidelines we follow:
Like Us On Facebook
Why Sign Up?
What our members are saying
"I was delighted to receive my cheque in the post."
"I have been filling out surveys for many different companies, and American Consumer Opinion is the only company I have ever received compensation from."
D.S. - "Got a $25 check from American Consumer Opinion today. That was surely a nice surprise."
N.M. - "I just got an 8-euros check from your organisation."